Thanks to @lululemon, I got to watch Shawn Achor give a lecture today. This Harvard professor is one of the leading experts in connecting happiness and success.
Essentially he outlined five basic techniques showing how optimism, positivity, and happiness can invade every corner of your life. After watching him talk, my mood immediately shifted and my outlook drastically changed. It was radical.
1. Three Gratitudes—every day spend two minutes writing down three things you're grateful for that have happened in the last 24 hours. Never repeat the same thing twice and get specific.
2. The Doubler—open a blank word doc or new page in your journal and take two minutes every day to describe a positive experience as detailed as you can.
3. Fun 15—take 15 minutes every day to squeeze in some cardio exercise in a way that you find fun. Suggestions: dance, swimming, running, racquet sports.
4. Meditation—just two minutes a day watching your breath go in and out.
5. Conscious act of kindness—take two minutes to send a text message or email thanking a person you know, whether they're a close or far tie.
If you do these five things daily for up to six months you can rewire your brain to think positively, shifting your predisposed environmental and genetic set point for happiness. My favourite part was hearing the incredible effects of these tools on MS patients to people suffering from depression/anxiety to google and facebook employees. Love hearing about psychological work that is easy to implement that consistently delivers positive research results!